This infographic provides a great overview of the thought processes and steps every blogger should take when creating a new post, including:
- Know Your Business Goals
- Know Your Audience
- Plan Your Content Strategy
- Design & Usability
- Content & Readability
- Search Engine Optimization
- Encourage Engagement
- After You Post
RELATED: How To Start A Blog: The Ultimate Guide
Infographic created by http://www.thewholebraingroup.com.
Sensible Blogging Checklist
Everything you need to know about creating a successful blog for business.
By The Whole Brain Group
Know Your Business Goals
What are your objectives for the blog?
- Inform your readers about your business mission & values
- Educate consumers about your products & services
- Establish yourself as an expert in your industry
Know Your Audience
Who are you hoping to reach?
Age Range: ___________________
Gender: ___ % men ___ % women
Income Level: ________________
Education Level: ______________
Type of Industry: _____________
# of Employees: ______________
Type of Business: _____________
Location (local/national): _______
Top problems they are trying to solve or pains they have:
What now? Use this information to develop an ideal audience persona and to tailor the content of your posts.
Plan Your Content Strategy
RELATED: The Ultimate Blogging Planner to help you organize your blog & blogging business.
Have you chosen content that serves both your business goals AND your audience?
Pick 5 topic categories to focus your blog posts.
Create a new blog post with original content ___ x times a week / month
Develop relationships with bloggers in your industry and ask them to write guest blog posts
Create a new blog post with repurposed content ___ x times a week / month
- Videos, infographics, pictures, etc.
- Add your own spin
- Give them credit with a backlink
- Give them credit on social media
Design & Usability
Make sure your blog is user-friendly
___ ___ People can subscribe to my blog
___ ___ Users can navigate to previous blog posts
___ ___ My blog is easily accessible from my home page
___ ___ My blog has a search function
___ ___ Users can easily share my post on social media sites
Content & Readability
- Blog post is under 350 words (Editor’s Note: we advise using different lengths for different purposes.)
- The post is introduced with a catchy title
- Bullet points are used to break up large sections
- There is at least one image, a descriptive picture, or eye-catching graphic to encourage people to click on the link
Search Engine Optimization
- The post focuses on one or two keywords or phrases
- Keywords also appear in the blog post title
- The post is tagged with the chosen keywords
- The meta description includes detailed or expressive text that encourages clicks
- Headings and subheadings appear in the blog post and also feature keywords
- Keywords are in the alt text of any images or graphics
- There are links within the post to other relevant pages or blog posts on your website
- A Call to Action appears at the end of your post
- Seek participation by asking for comments, questions, or feedback
- Ask others to share the post on social media
After You Post
___ You have asked other bloggers to mention your post
___ Post is shared on social media sites:
___ Submit to social bookmarking sites:
- Google Bookmarks
What do you think? Any blogging requirements missing?